How does health insurance work?

In Switzerland

Every person residing in Switzerland is required to have a health and accident insurance or to obtain the relevant exemption (see below) within three months of entry into Switzerland. Compulsory health insurance covers the costs of the medical care in case of illness or accident. Students with a European Health Insurance Card (e.g. from Germany) are exempt from buying health insurance in CH.

If the terms are not met, or exemption is not obtained, an insurance will be assigned as a matter of course at the discretion of the respective authorities. The authorities may select a very expensive plan and will send you the invoice.

Double degree students may be able to access a special plan for international students.

For more information visit the USI health insurance website.

In Germany

According to the Bavarian Higher Education Act, all prospective students must present their university with an official insurance certificate from a German statutory health insurance provider (e.g. AOK, TK, Barmer, DAK, etc.) – irrespective of which country they are from.

The purpose of the insurance certificate from the statutory health insurance provider is to confirm to the university whether

  • you have statutory health insurance or
  • you do not have statutory health insurance (i.e. you are not obliged to have statutory health insurance)

Leave a Reply